Working Group - Garden Share
Promoting and supporting sustainable, local food production – meets monthly. Contact: Dennis Bressack at DBressack47@earthlink.net or 845 679-6582
The Garden Share Working Group is excited to announce that the July 10th meeting was hosted by the Whirligig Farm which is located on Hurley Mountain Road in Hurley, NY. The meeting featured a tour of the CSA and two guest speakers, Steffen Schneider and Lucy Marsten from Hawthorne Valley Farm, Ghent NY.
On June 14th, Garden Share Working Group members will be honored and acknowledged for their group’s accomplishments and successes in the past year at Woodstock Tranistion’s Annual Celebration, at Andy Lee Field. The event will also include live music, potluck picnic, and a seed & plant swap. The event will be from 1:00-5:00 PM. Bring your own plates and utensils, please.
Prior to the event please visit the Woodstock Garden Club’s Yearly Plant Sale at Sunflower’s parking lot from 9:00-12 noon.
Local Farm information and links. You are welcomed to place yourself on their mailing lists to receive updates about their events.
1. Cody Creek Farm website and Longspoon Collective. Telephone #’s are Chase Randell 845-594-7979, Frank O’Leary 201-618-1597, Karuna Foudriat 845-901-9301. http://codycreekfarm.com
2. Whirligig Farm in Hurley, NY Phone: Creek Iversen 845-902-8154, Dan Moon 914-607-1061.
3. Andrew Faust, who runs the Center for Biological Living located in Ellenville, NY. You can contact him through the site for courses and to set up a visit. He has already spoken at 2 of our meetings and we are planning a return visit. http://www.homebiome.com
4. Melody Newcombe, who is sponsoring 4-sessions called “Sunday Morning Gardening Coffee Tea Clotch & Breakfast Pot Luck”. They are Hands-On Workshops on Sundays, May 18 & 25 and June 1 & 8 at her “Garden in the Woods” Call or email for information. 845-853-3761 email@example.com.
4. a. The Japanese Farm in Maplecrest and is planning to visit Melody’s on Monday the 12th. A link to an article about the farm is below.
Meetings at homes included pot lucks.
Some gardeners are sharing their garden’s labor and vegetables with people who don’t have gardens.
1. Hegulkultur events at Bressack garden.
2. Lasagna Gardening at the Community Garden.
3. The DVDs “Organic Gardening” and “Back to Eden” were shown at 2 meetings.
4. Organic Gardening with Melody Newcombe at her home and garden.
5. Permaculture with Mila Funk at Lala and Jared’s home and garden.
6. Garlic Planting with Barbara Rosen.
7. Canning with Lorin and Shirley Rose at the Barbers’ home.
8. Bee Keeping with Joe Krein and Joricjk Phillips of Hudson Valley Bee Supply at Bressack home.
9. Biodynamic Farming with Anthony Mecca and Larry Steel at Eliana and Vito’s home.
10. “Bioregional Economies and Using Permaculture Principles to Retrofit the Northeast” with Andrew Faust at the Woodstock Library.
11. Seed Sharing and the short film about “Saving and Storing Seeds” at the Woodstock Library.
12. “Biodynamic, Biointensive, Organic and Permaculture Gardening, Introduced and Compared with Focus on Compost” with Andrew Faust at the Woodstock Library.
13. “Greenhorns” Documentary shown with guest speakers, Patrick Kiley from greenhorns, and Creek Iversen & Dan Moon form Whirligig Farm, Hurley, NY at Woodstock Library.
14. Long Spoon Collective discussion with Chase Randell & Frank O’Leary from Cody Creek Farm and Karuna Foudriat. Bressack home.